Your mind may not be thinking about Santa, mistletoe and jingle bells just yet, but with the holidays only 6 months away, now is the time to start thinking about how you’re going to manage the holiday-related costs.
Travel, food, and gifts for the whole family can be expensive and, while incurring debt during the holidays is very common, it’s very avoidable with a little planning ahead.
Interested in learning more about how to plan ahead? See below and visit Essentialfcu.org to open a holiday savings account.
- Set a goal: Give yourself a goal and set aside a small amount of money each paycheck to contribute to a Christmas savings fund.
- Establish a Christmas savings account: Having an account specifically for Christmas savings throughout the year allows you to dedicate funds, track your progress and ensure money doesn’t get spent on “other” stuff.
- Keep your change: No matter how you do it, saving your change can quickly add up.
- Set a budget: Set an amount you want to spend based on what you can afford and stick to it.
- Shop ahead: Don’t wait until December to start shopping; buy a few presents every month instead of all at once to lessen the financial impact.
Getting ahead and setting money aside now will make your bank accounts happy come December! If you want to know how to start a Christmas savings account, get in touch!